Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Renewing your driver's license in Iowa
How to renew your driver's license in Iowa
When you should renew your Iowa driver's license:
- Your Iowa driver's license is valid for five years and will generally expire on your birthday. (If you are above 70 or below 18 years of age you are only issued a two year license).
- An Iowa license is valid for another 60 days after expiry. It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the 60 day grace period is over, as after that you will have to take the knowledge test again.
- You can renew your license 30 days prior to expiration. (You may even renew it up to a year prior to expiration, but then you will have to explain your reasons).
- If you are renewing more than a year after your license expired, then you have to take the knowledge test, vision screening and the driving test.
To renew your Iowa driver's license in person bring with you the following:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Appropriate renewal fee, payable by cash or check (credit or debit cards not accepted).
You will have to re-take your vision exam in order to obtain your renewal driver's license.
If you are out of state when you need to renew your Iowa driver's license you can apply for an extension that will be valid for 6 months. Mail in an Application for Temporary Extension of Motor Vehicle License Form # 430027 to the address given below.
Iowa Department of Transportation
Office of Driver Services
P O Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306-9204
Telephone: (515) 244-8725
Fax: (515) 239-1837